Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Shedding physical possessions

As part of our move, Rich and I have been working on lightening our overall volume of physical possessions. As part of this, Rich has been gently working on getting rid of some stuff that I had in the garage. Among this stuff has been a countertop convection oven and rotisserie. Why do I have a countertop convection oven and rotisserie?

A few years ago...like...seven? One of the then-significant online kitchen sites went bust and liquidated their inventory on Amazon. I was working and making some inappropriate amount of money for my age, so I bought some stuff. My current cookware set was part of that order. They've been great, but I am definitely not a fan of hard anodized aluminum cookware. If you're thinking of buying some, send me an email and I'll tell you why I'm jonesing for a stainless steel set.

Anyway, I've got some stuff, and we just got a call from a woman who is interested in buying the convection oven. And I'm kind of sad.

A little context for you. I am the kind of person who picks up things that are cute without necessarily having someone in mind to whom to gift it. In general this works out for me because I tend to get things which are cute and thoughtful and are appropriate gifts. Not ridiculously expensive items, but I am the chick who buys a few choice items at the post-Christmas sale and actually manages to gift those items several months later.

That being said, when I buy stuff, I do tend to get oddly emotionally attached to certain types of things. I had some kind of an idea for this convection oven. A long time ago, I'm sure I thought it was the kind of thing I'd have in my kitchen as a second oven, an optional one since it's about as portable as ovens get without being toaster ovens. That was way back before I conceived of buying and living in a home with a really nice oven set and possibly (in the future) a double oven.

And so, after much thought and internal debate, I am shedding a selection of physical possessions. I'm a bit of a pack rat. Yes, yes, I know those of you who know me are laughing. I know I am. But I have good stuff. Stuff I spent time, energy, and emotional effort into purchasing with my hard-earned money. And now, I find myself looking at my DVD's and wondering why I felt the need to actually buy them. I should have gone to NetFlix a long time ago. I haven't purchased a DVD for me in...almost a year. We get stuff for Drew, but I haven't really bought movies for myself.

We're selling off DVD's. We sold my fireplace set that I purchased for my house that is now also for sale. My house that was my solace and such a good place for me, but not such a good place for us as a family. My lamps are almost all gone. (This new house sure does have a lot of built in lighting.) And then there was the old manual typewriter, my printer which had some kind of an issue, my old cell phone, my microwave, and my network storage device.

Every item has a little story behind it. Why I bought it. Why I bought that one. What happened when I bought it. How I got it home and assembled it. A little Amy history.

This new house has been very interesting that way. I know we're writing new history. Joint history. Family history. But it's more difficult than I thought, giving up a little independence that way.

Jotham and Dana gave me a book called What Nobody Tells the Bride, in which there is a discussion of what women lose when they get married. It's not stuff that's really ever discussed, but there is an interesting loss of independence and self-identity when women get married that I find myself experiencing a lot of right now. I realized that I need a little more independent time. So I'm going to work on getting back into glass blowing. And really look into some classes taught at the club house, like yoga. I think non work time for myself will help.

This whole shedding of physical possessions thing is so much more complicated than just getting rid of stuff. I think Rich is starting to get that.

No comments: