Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Chicago

I flew from Oakland to Chicago because for some reason my company's travel site doesn't show any flights flying from Oakland to Milwaukee. So I had to drive from Chicago to Milwaukee. I decided to take the opportunity to see my friends Victoria & John and their new baby, Isabel. I'd followed Victoria's pregnancy and Isabel's first couple of weeks via their photo stream (see right).

When I flew into Midway, I was greeted by a plane.


Upon arrival, I hopped on the Budget shuttle and picked up my car. The Budget Midway Airport location turns out to be on Cicero, one of the *ahem* less affluent areas of Chicago. The GPS told me to take Cicero for several miles to get to Victoria & John's home. During that several miles, I encountered several large abandoned lots with huge old buildings like this one.



Also along the drive on Cicero, I saw a White Castle. And tried to take a picture, but missed entirely. Rich has never been to the midwest, and thus has not yet had the White Castle experience. I had mine with Jake in St. Louis, where I tried every variation they sold, guided by Jake.

The other highlight of my several miles along Cicero was the multiplicity of hookers. I started counting about two blocks from the car rental location. I saw between five and ten, depending on my accuracy in sighting. The five were definite - it was not exactly normal weather, but even so, I don't know that a racerback mini-dress and three inch heels were exactly appropriate at 4 o'clock in the afternoon.

My visit with Victoria, John and Isabel was lovely. I haven't seen Victoria & John in a few years. They used to live in Charlottesville, Virginia, where John got his doctorate, and moved to Chicago last year. Isabel was just fantastic. At three weeks old to the day, she slept through most of my visit. I held her for around half an hour while Victoria made dinner and after John got home. She was an angel. Victoria does not even look like she was pregnant! She blogged that she made it back into pre-pregnancy pants just ten days after Isabel was born! Sigh. I can only hope. Futilely, but still.

After a lovely dinner with Victoria and John, while Isabel slept, an apparently amazing feat, I headed out for my drive to Milwaukee.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Thanks for stopping to visit us, and when you can come back and bring your sleeping mojo with you? We haven't had a peaceful dinner since ;-) I despair for Thanksgiving! For the record, I'm still 10 lbs up, it's just miraculously distributed itself in a flattering way. What are the odds of that happening? I certainly wasn't expecting it... But I will divulge my secret tactics here for all the internet to see (A) bi-weekly resistance training class! Even if it doesn't do for the matabolism what this one did for mine, it sure does come in handy when you're lugging a little squirmy brick around the apartment all day after delivery! and (B) avoiding the vicious circle of "I deserve X -- where X is 'high-calorie food with no nutritonal content' -- because I'm pregnant and miserable!" consumption of which ultimately makes you more miserable, and thus more deserving of compensentory treats until it all spirals way out of hand. I ate a *lot* extra, but I made sure that everything that was added had some redeeming quality, and stuck to my existing one nutriton-free-dessert-a-day + one restaurant-meal-a-week policy. So there you go, secrets revealed!