Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Lines

I voted today for the first time in a while. I have been remiss in moving my voter registration over to Sacramento County since I had every intention of moving back to the Bay Area after law school. In the last presidential election, I was thwarted by a train delay due to flooding and didn't make it to Berkeley in time to vote after class.

This time, the trains almost did me in again. I came down on Monday night and was delayed due to a train vs. car accident in Richmond. Amtrak held the trains in Martinez, where my train was the middle of five trains being held. We were then all shifted to a single train, which went into Richmond, and was met by a variety of buses to take people to the next station (Jack London Square, Oakland) or their local stop. I had enough of the delay after half an hour of freezing cold on the train (they turned off the heat). I called my mom and she and Gary met me at the Richmond station. I was relieved to get off the train. In the end, I arrived at my mom's house an hour and a half late. It would have been much worse had I stayed with Amtrak shuttling.

Anyhow, this was the line at the voting station near my mom's house. Not too bad. We showed up just after 7 and managed to get out and to the Oakland airport before 8. I chilled while waiting for my flight to Chicago.

No comments: