Monday, September 15, 2008

Moving Update

It is officially Day Five of The Move. I'd call us maybe 20% moved. Rich was shocked to discover a cache of boxes in the office he hadn't realized was quite so densely packed. On the bright side, the garage is parkably empty, if we bothered to move a few things around. Luckily it's not a particularly high priority, so we'll just keep going. Tomorrow, I'm going to take down my shelves of kichen stuff and move a couple of carfuls of stuff.

Zelda and Eric are coming for a visit this weekend to help us move and paint. Given the current state of things, I suspect it will be more moving than painting, but I've already warned them, and they haven't changed their minds (yet) on coming. We may round up Aaron and Julie on Saturday so we can really get things moving and be done with most of the larger items that require assistance. I'd like to be done with everything by Sunday, but it may not be possible.

Moving with a kid is a very different experience. Drew has been superb. Very helpful and getting quite strong. He's so enthusiastic and so likes to help out that I feel bad when I don't save lighter weight items just for him to take to/from the house. In the larger picture, though, if we can not have to keep an eye on him while moving, things would go much faster. And so, I am envisioning a distraction for him on Saturday, whether it's Julie and the baby or a visit to a friend's house. 

The house feels much larger without all the stuff in it. We'll move and suddenly realize how large the house actually is and that if we could have streamlined our lives, we could have easily lived here. But I won't argue with extra space.

While we're moving, I am going to identify a corner of one room for all the items we are going to sell in some combination of Craigslist, eBay, and Amazon. All proceeds will go into the travel slush fund, so as to give us some incentive to really get rid of stuff. Plus, I'll be scheduling a Salvation Army pickup from the new house about a month after we move in so that they will come get the stuff and we won't have an excuse not to get rid of things.

Anyhow, Rich is home from the last load of the night. Drew's started to be afraid of the dark, which sucks, and keeps waking up. Exhaustion and sleep are pretty compelling right now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

35% moved. We've already filled up 1/3 of the new house. So I hope it's not 20.

Ashley said...

Let me know if you want to send Drew over here (free of charge, of course) on Saturday and/or Sunday. We'd be happy to have him visit. Allie loves company. :) Heck, we could have a sleep-over if you want! It would be fun-tastic!! ;)