Wednesday, September 17, 2008

IT planning update

So, my DSL self-install kit didn't go so well.  I'm supposed to get 3 solid green lights, and I get 2 solid and one blinky light.  Power cycling doesn't work, different phone jacks don't work, and hitting it against the wall doesn't solve anything either.  I called tech support the first night, and they said I should wait until midnight for it to be activated.  The next night, the guy said "yep, sounds like a problem", and they won't have someone out to check the wires until next week.

So, thanks to some ignorant but benevolent neighbor, we have a wifi (this is prounounced "wee-fee" in our household)  signal that I can hook up to via my laptop.  Speeds are even decent, and i get a pretty strong signal.  But connecting my laptop doesn't do much for the rest of the computers.  My next step is to connect a wireless bridge to that network, which I will then plug the VOIP router into, allowing me to use our VOIP stuff, and creating a wireless repeater in our house.  Being that my neighbor obviously likes sharing, by extension, should I leave my repeater network free?  I'm awfully conflicted.  But what I do know is that I'll owe the neighborhood a week of free wifi from our own network once I'm hooked up good and proper myself.  It's really the least I can do.

No comments: