Thursday, October 2, 2008

Update on me



So, I wish I could have the ICD installed right in the middle of my chest with a LED array, but I just couldn't talk the doctors into doing that.  Too bad, since several other people (non-doctors) suggested that it would be a good way to install it, too.  Drew would hold me in godlike status, even moreso than he does already.

To update everyone curious, I'm feeling great.  I was really sore for the first week, and I wasn't sure how long it was going to last.  I would take 2 pain pills per night to help me sleep, and I needed to wear the arm sling the first few days just to make it tolerable to have an arm dangling from my shoulder.  I went to the Dr on Monday, and the nurses said my wound was healing well, and the device was still functioning properly, and I was cleared to take showers and kind of get the wound wet.  

Last night, I didn't have to take any pain pills at all, so I'll be selling the remainder of them on street corners around town.  I have absolutely no need for the arm sling, and my arm feels great.  I'm re-gaining a lot of my flexibility and can move my arm above 90° now without pain or stiffness.  And I can sleep on my stomach again - ahhhhh!  Maybe the most restrictive part of this whole thing.  And most importantly, I feel like I can lift things again, which means we can get back to the business of moving in, something that will make us all feel a lot better in the long run.

A funny side effect of all of this has been a sharply reduced appetite.  Maybe they tacked on a stomach stapling surgery while they were inside of me.  Things could be much worse.  In the mean time, since I've been getting my bandaging wet, it's been slowly coming off.  I'll probably get picky at it sometime soon and remove it completely.  When I do, look forward to pictures, as always.

2 comments:

gigi said...

It's the pain pills... usually they suppress your appetite... and/or cause nausea.

Christy and Pete said...

So, what street corner did you say that you would be at tonight?
Seriously, I am glad that you are recovering well. We hope to see you guys soon!