Sunday, October 12, 2008

Amy's Dilly Bean Adventure

Despite Rich's protestations, a few trips back, on our way up to Oregon, I bought a bottle of pickled spicy dill beans. We had a taste at the Olive Pit and I liked them, so over Rich's complaints about the price ($10), I bought them. And then hid them. Just before our move, Rich rediscovered them and then started them. And last night, in a fit of the (not in any way drug induced) munchies, Rich finished them off.

So, this morning, before going to the farmer's market, I decided to make my own spicy dilly beans. At the market, we picked up green beans and dill and this afternoon, I dove into bean making.

Having never actually pickled a thing before in my entire life, this was not a bad first experience. Four quarts, three pints of dill beans. One pint, no peppers, one quart has *ahem* a lot of peppers. Rich tossed one quart in the fridge to chill ASAP so he can taste them. I'm hoping he likes them.

I'm done canning/pickling/etc. for the year. I'm tired. My feet don't handle standing up for several hours w/o support. I'm contemplating finding some ergonomic mats for in front of the sink. Inevitably, I end up standing there for a long time, prepping and cleaning, so it's probably the right place for one.

All in all, this weekend, we had one day of really good progress unpacking and clearing. And today, it was a little more laid back. We had to get persimmons and pomegranates for Rich's parents at the farmer's market, so the day kind of revolved around administrative stuff. We had to get some meat and veggies for the week. I made a random assorted mixed grill for dinner tonight, clearing some stuff out of the freezer, small pieces from the meat I packed away.

I am tired! Off to some quality vege time in front of the TV.

1 comment:

gigi said...

what is an "ergonomic mat"????