Friday, October 31, 2008

Rich's Halloween Rules


Well, we got a good number of trick-or-treat'ers at our new place, but not all of them were deserving.  A few pointers to next year's visitors.
  1. Put some effort into the costumes.  Some of you looked like you were straight off the street, looking for a handout.  Next year, no costume, no candy!
  2. Put some effort into your candy bags.  Plastic pumpkins are good.  Those small plastic bags with halloween themes are fine.  Pillowcases are pushing it.  A white garbage bag?  Come on!
  3. You're how old?  If you look 13, you're pushing the line.  If you're 16, you're much too old.  If you have kids, and are asking for candy yourself, you're setting a bad example.  Don't risk getting rejected in front of your kids.
  4. Here's the script: You - "trick or treat!"  Me - "Oh, cute, Chewbacca.  Have some candy." You - "Thank you!"  None of this holding out your bag with no words.  Next year, I'm waiting until you say something, otherwise, we'll just enjoy an awkward silence.
  5. If I hold out the bowl, you take one piece, unless I bless you to take more, which I usually will do.  Don't get greedy.  
  6. Don't swarm me.  3 - 4 kids (or less) at a time is good.  7 - 8 is overwhelming, and I'm likely to get stingy with my candy.  Parents should learn to send the kids in waves, it will help you hone your children management skills.
  7. Mind the pumpkin.  People kept kicking my pumpkin tonight and spinning it around.  There's fire in there, watch out!
That's about it for Rich's halloween rules.  See you all next year!

1 comment:

MamaJulie said...

Darn straight! What's up with kids these days? My only disagreement is with the pillow case for a tote - no need for plastic, reusable and perfectly adequate.