Sunday, February 15, 2009

Ode to a Teapot

Almost five years ago, now, Aaron and Julie bought me a teapot for Christmas. I'm pretty sure it was Christmas. It was either Christmas for my birthday. Anyway, they bought me a teapot because they were shocked to discover that I did not own one. (They were also shocked to discover that I do not own a double boiler despite all my chocolate melting and tempering.)

Anyway, it was a bright red teapot, enameled and boiled a surprisingly large amount of water. And it whistled. The whistling was...well, standard. And annoying, as it is meant to be, when water boils.

Being me, I used the teapot, rarely putting down the whistle part, because I'd be working around the kitchen. And now, it's a habit. (I know you can ALL see where this is headed.)

Today, after lunch, I decided to have a cookie and wanted to have a cup of tea to go with it. Just to cut the richness and also to warm me up. As per my SOP, I put a lot of water in the pot as I have often found that having more hot water is always a good thing.

While I was reading this afternoon, something smelled funny. I have a sensitive nose and can smell all sorts of things (most of which I don't want to smell). A strong metallic smell wafted upstairs and I couldn't figure out what appliance could be causing it. It's the same kind of scent I smell when I turn the oven on to cleaning mode. The kind of scent that kills birds.

I wandered downstairs and discovered that I...ummm...forgot about the teapot. And...no more teapot. All the plastic components...liquefied. And ran down the side. It used to be a bright, cheerful red. And now...the heat and burn...well, it's kind of darker now.

And so I bid farewell to the teapot. It served me well.

Luckily, I have another one I received a while back, which I can use. And it's even red-ish. But this one that I will place in the garbage in another hour after it cools down, this one was good to me. And it will be missed.

It almost looks okay here...



Until you look closer.







*Sniff* Poor teapot. It didn't do anything wrong.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! My mum has done this same thing with this with not one, but two teapots! Both beautiful Chantal kettles, one of which I bought for her. After she melted it, I bought her an electric one, much safer for everyone :)

G said...

whistles are warnings for a reason...

Anonymous said...

Sorry - just had to pop in to say this is actually a kettle, not a teapot, short and stout.