Monday, April 13, 2009

The perils of technology dependence

Our dentist has toys all over, from computers instead of paper for getting histories to capturing signatures. And I'm sitting here, waiting to have another set of molds of my teeth taken for my bite guard. My fourth. Apparently my jaw is very active at night. Anyway, they took one set but the dentist was utterly unable to get it to fit. So this is take two. If this one doesn't work, I'm going back to my dentist in Berkeley who fitted my last three.

Rich claims that they have TV goggles that they let him wear with some headphones and watch a movie while they were doing something to him. I've never been offered those. They have a huge lcd hanging ten feet above the lobby at an uncomfortable height to watch anything and another one in a kids area near the lounge which is just ridiculous looking. They always have music playing, which I suppose is nice, but...it's like my dentist's office is trying to be cool, and I just want them to do a good job!

Back to the technology dependence - their software had a glitch this morning and six patients were sitting out in the lobby, waiting for procedures that couldn't be performed until we could sign consents which we couldn't do because the system wouldn't let us digitally sign. And for some reason a signature on a piece of paper wasn't an option. So we sat...and waited until they rebooted their entire system. Another ten minutes. None of us in the lobby were happy.

No comments: