Thursday, April 23, 2009

Our accomplishment tonight

I decided to take a quilting class which led me to decide that I needed a crafty Amy area. So I wnt online and perused ideas for inexpensive table setups. Ultimately, a nice woman at Home Depot talked me into simplifying and so here it is, my crafty area where my crafty stuff has begun to migrate. It is a sandwiched piece of melamine board, with liquid nails binding them, edged with that iron on stuff. I was originally going for cinder block legs, but the HD woman told me that it was a bad idea because the sewing machine will cause some reverberation and that the cinder blocks wouldn't handle it, so we got some surprisingly cheap table legs from Ikea. The top is 8 ft. x 2 ft., so I used six legs to make sure it would hold.

Only one sewing machine is mine. I borrowed a friend's when I could not locate mine.

To the right are two nine patches from the quilt I am working on in my class. They will soon be joined by patches for my other projects. The quilting class teacher had a great idea for a design board. The board is a very large piece of foam board, covered with an inverted fuzzy lined vinyl tablecloth. The fabric just stays like those felt things we played with in elementary school. On the table is the cutting mat, ruler and rotary cutter I borrowed from Laura.

Eventually, the later version of this desk will involve a shelf as one of the legs so I can put the baskets currently under the desk into the shelf.

All in all, it was super cheap and is very functional. I already know what its next incarnation will be, but I suspect that inertia will lead to this desk having a long life in this corner.

More importantly, I am totally energized to make stuff. My quilting class is crawling along, so I'm going to get started on my little baby quilts that I am going to gift on a coulple friends who are expecting this summer. If they turn out not embarassingly bad, that is.

No comments: