Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Workplace excitement and danger!

Okay, this is what qualifies as an exciting day here. Apparently, one of the overhead lines leaked some type of fluid. I was pretty sure that most overhead lines only consist of wire and insulator, but there the puddle is, and someone in the office even had it drip on his hand, causing a minor chemical burn. We were watching it out of the window, and the puddle was bubbling and sizzling. You could literally see the distortion lines of heat as they rose from the puddle, as it apparently worked away at dissolving the concrete. Someone called the fire department, and they showed up, emergency taping off the area, and then just kind of standing around, scratching their heads. I returned to my cubicle, and next time I looked out the window, the puddle was somewhat cleaned up, though there haven't been any utility crews out, so I'm not sure if it's going to continue leaking from whence it came.

When I leave to go to my car this evening, I'm going to be on the lookout for wounded alien xenomorphs back by the dumpsters.

That's it just above the utility box and to the left of the wooden pole.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh...turns out it was molten plastic from one of the overhead wires that got too hot, and continued to burn on the sidewalk. My acid speculation was much more interesting.