Thursday, October 18, 2007

Skwirlz 2 - The Reckoning

It's a different day, but things are the same as ever with the squirrels that continue to plague our backyard. Actually, it's not the same - it's worse. Since it's Fall, the squirrels are "squirreling away" (now you know where that phrase comes from) their acorns for the long, dark winter ahead. Our neighbors have been graciously providing them with acorns, and we graciously provide them with loose, fertile soil in which to bury them. When Drew and I got home tonight, we saw two of the evil little vermin in the backyard, really yukking it up at our expense. Actually, it was one evil squirrel, and one little cute juvenile one. But we musn't get attached - this is war.

With an advanced enemy comes the need for advanced weaponry. But with a tight budget, comes inventive tools. Therefore, I had to make use of what rodent control implements I had on hand, namely the rat traps. With internet research, I learned that rat traps can be used to control squirrels, but you have to anchor them down. Since squirrels are a bit bigger than rats, and have multiple large furry appendages, it's possible the trap could snap on his fuzzy little tail, and he'll make off with your entire trap, then later laugh it up with his buddies, as you run off to purchase more rat traps. I had an overabundance of wires and cords in the office, so I sacrificed an unused phone cord as the anchor. And the trap was ready, three of them, in strategic locations.


A little peanut butter, and the traps are set. Now, only to wait.


To be completely honest, this is my third time baiting the traps, with no results. I'm not sure how they're doing it, but they keep setting off all three traps, eating the peanut butter, then sitting on the fence as I re-bait the traps, licking their lips in anticipation of the next meal. I figure they have to slip up eventually, and when they do, I'll be ready.

No comments: