Thursday, June 18, 2009

An update on school

I've gotten a few comments on my dark outlook on Drew's new school, and our readers are entitled to an update before they think that we're sending him day after day to a place he doesn't like.

The short story is that things are getting better by the day, just as we thought they would. By the end of day 2, he had found a boy and some girls that would happily play with him, and by the end of the third day, he had several male friends, of whom he actually knew their names. The funny part is that some of these friends were some of the same names he mentioned as antagonizing him just a day earlier.

Each day when we ask how things were at school, he relates about how someone pushed him or yelled at him, but when we press him for information, he happily tells stories of crafts he did at school or who he ended up playing with. Today is "play in water day", so he was sent to school with a towel, swimsuit, sunscreen, and flip-flops in his backpack. I also gave him a quarter so he could enjoy a popsicle.

Every time I drop him off, I'm still met with sad eyes and a request for "another hug and another kiss", but he's liking it more. I predict by the end of next week, it's just going to be a "Bye, Dad", and him running off to see his buddies. Then I'll be posting about how nice the repeated hugs and kisses were.

No comments: