Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Fun with technology

Tonight, it was time to upgrade our poisoned installation of windows XP on our desktop computer up to Windows 7. I have a fresh license and a disc, so it's time to upgrade.

I try installing from the bootable Windows 7 disc, and get an error - Install CD/DVD drivers for DVD drive. That's odd...I'm installing you off the DVD. Go to google, and there are a couple of solutions - swap out the DVD drive, or re-burn the disc. I figure swapping out drives is quicker, and that's what I do.

Back in business, booting off the Windows 7 disc, and installation goes much further than before. Repartition the hard drive, start installing, another error. Can't read file, aborting installation. Stupid disc.

Okay, let's try a USB install. It's the hot new thing now, so I check out how to make a USB drive bootable, and oh, the desktop supports USB booting, but only with a later BIOS version. Well, I'll boot back into XP on the disc, since Win7 said that no changes were made to the hard drive and OOPS, they lied. Cannot find boot partition.

Okay, so now I've gotta install a new BIOS, but before I can do that, I have to put an old version of Windows back on the computer first.

Nah, I'm done for the night. This can wait.

No comments: