Saturday, March 21, 2009

Memory Evoking Foods

When I was working back at DR&A, one weekend, I went up to Tahoe with  Anthony, Hadley, & Josh. I don't remember quite how it happened, though. It was snowing in Tahoe and Anthony had never been in snow before and Hadley had taught me to ski one day just before I graduated, and well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Since it was snowing and I didn't particularly trust my car, we rented an SUV, piled in and went. As it turned out, the SUV was overkill - Josh's car probably would have made it.

In any case, we went up to Tahoe and I vaguely recall having fun. I remember that Josh ended up on Alex's air mattress and it lost air throughout the evening. The other thing I remember is that this was trip where I had strawberries with sour cream and brown sugar for the first time. It was either Josh or Hadley that made me pick up all three things from the store on our way up to the mountains. It sounds...not particularly tasty, really. Why waste a perfectly good strawberry with sour cream of all things?

As it turns out, the sour cream and brown sugar make the strawberry sweeter and juicer, somehow. I mean REALLY tasty, even when the strawberry itself isn't the ripest, bestest strawberry.

Today, after lunch, I had a craving for something sweet, but not too sweet. We bought some strawberries at the Korean market this morning and I had some sour cream, so...I had strawberries with sour cream and brown sugar. And it all came back tome. Tahoe, snow, and good friends.

It always surprises me what memories certain foods evoke.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I introduced Ron to this combination a few years ago, it is the best!

J.J. said...

I haven't tried the brown sugar and sour cream combo, but the effect you describe sounds like macerated strawberries with balsamic vinegar. It also makes strawberries more strawberry-ish.

G said...

i heard somewhere that memory is tied to the senses...