Monday, August 20, 2007

A better mousetrap pt. 2

Amy knows me so well...on Friday, while I was at work, she was out buying D-cell batteries to fuel my bloodlust. That's not to say I'm the only one hellbent on eradicating the backyard of vermin, she's probably more creeped out by their presence than I am. She just keeps a low profile and lets me get maniacal about the whole thing.

I figured after leaving for the weekend with a baited and primed mousetrap, I'd surely be greeted by a corpse on returning home. After all, this is the world's most advanced mousetrap. Sadly, when I checked the trap on Sunday afternoon, I was disappointed to see that the trap was empty. I even saw a bit of dog kibble around the entrance. It was quite a letdown, after talking all weekend about how I'd come home to find the trap stuffed with dead rats, who each had clamored into the trap, one after another, oblivious to the fact that this was the very device slaughtering their brethren.

I'm not one to give up in the face of minor advertsity, after all, the man who lent the trap to me told me it would take several days to gain the rat's trust, and I had baited and set it almost immediately. So I gave it another day and went to bed.

This morning, I was greeted with the most wonderful sight. An enormous dead rat in the trap. It was so perfect, he was dead as a doornail, with none of the signature gore that the snap traps left. I took a few pictures, tossed the body, re-set the trap, and tossed in a few more pieces of kibble. As long as I'm pulling in bodies, I'll keep setting the trap, hoping to rid the neighborhood of every last one of these foul beasts.

As a matter of decorum, and because Drew occasionally peeks over my shoulder when I'm writing/reviewing the blog, I'll link to the pictures I took. These are pictures of dead rats, so only look if you're cool with that sort of thing. Approaching the trap, a whale of a tail, and the final kill.

1 comment:

E'l Roy said...

Holy cow, that's not a rat, that's a nutria!!!